Monday, November 7

Peace at last

Nobody's online on MSN! Oh yes, time differences...

I have left the madness of Delhi. After the last blog, I climbed into bed at 9pm, and was awoken at 12:30 the next afternoon by a friendly tout who had tried to sell me a ticket to Manali the previous day. I think I may have slept forever if he hadn't. Feeling a lot better, I had some curry for breakfast (not to be repeated), and found myself a ticket to the hills. It was the bumpiest coach ride ever. Really really bad. But cheap. We arrived in Mcleod Ganj at 6am (that's a 14 hour journey), and having learned in Delhi to give touts a flat 'no', a guy called Richard who's been in India for 4 months told me about a hotel where they have double rooms with hot showers for 150R, and a dorm for 30R. We had to wait outside chatting for hours until they woke up, but finding the dorm empty, we decided to rough it. It's actually nicer than my hotel in Delhi. And it costs 30R. 30R! That's about 40p. The food here is great and cheap, and it's full of Tibetan refugees who've made it their home, so it has a very tibetan feel, and they're friendlier in a much more genuine way than the money grabbing Delhi-ites.

And it's peaceful. Im able to walk the streets without little children tugging at my arms for money, or ruthless conmen who try to trick rich and innocent tourists.

I'm very happy here. There's no pressure to do anything, I've been wandering around drinking lots of chai, and admiring the breathtaking beauty that's here. I was walking down a hill, chatting with Richard (who also used to live in St Ives), and just stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the surrounding mountains and valleys. These are the Himalayers.

Technorati Tags:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that it was written at 05.50, though, ooh, thats early, then, ah yes, thats the time change that Kit spoke of...

8.11.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home