Friday, December 2

Always Coca Cola

My state of emotion has deteriorated from a general anti-corporate dissatisfaction to mild/moderate vexation. I just created a rather pretty and humerous blog post, but the WYSIWYG editor of blogger.com was confused by its own html code, and on trying to rectify the machine-generated mistakes (a missing 'close font' tag, of all things), I somewhere along the line lost the whole kit and caboodle. So I will resort to an ugly unordered list to convey my otherwise lost point:
  • Coca-cola is everywhere in India. Coca cola is made my coca cola. Sprite is made by Coca Cola. The bottled mango juice is made by Coca Cola. So is plain soda. An "alternative" Cola drink, 'thumbs up', is made by Coca Cola. For pete's sake, even some of the mineral water is made by them. Anything in a glass and often plastic bottle bends its knee before the not-so gentle giant.
  • Please take the time to visit CorpWatch to read-up on Coca Cola. Alleged unethicacies (not sure that's a word. I just looked it up: no, it isn't) include the hiring of paramilitaries to murder eight union leaders in Columbia (see also killercoke.org), and using and polluting shared water supplies in India, leaving villagers - to put it politely - in the lurch.
  • Tonight, whilst enjoying a humble repast of plain toast and tomato soup (belly still not feeling up to scratch), I was interrupted by the soothing tones of a jeep reversing (in India, where monotonous beeps would be too boring, tunes are used). Tonight, the tune was the majestic, timeless work of art that was only narrowly pipped to top spot in the 500 greatest songs of all time by Bob Dylan: Always Coca Cola.
In this globalised world, the arm of the multinational has indeed grown long.
Technorati Tags:

1 Comments:

Blogger kit said...

It sadly wouldn't surprise me. There is of course debate over whether it's true. I haven't fully checked out all the sources, but knowing the world, TNCs, and what people will do for money, I don't find it difficult to believe. I'd go and have a gander at corporate watch.

3.12.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home